Breastfeeding is the most natural and healthiest way to feed a baby. However, breastfeeding doesn’t come naturally to all new mothers.
If you are one of those new mothers who are finding breastfeeding a lot more challenging than you expected, a lactation consultant can come to your rescue. A lactation consultant is a certified healthcare professional who specializes in identifying and addressing breastfeeding problems.
Let’s talk about what breastfeeding problems new mothers can face, how lactation consultants can help, and where you can go for comprehensive pediatric consultation in Palm Harbor, Trinity, and Westchase, Florida.
Breastfeeding Problems You Can Face As a New Mom
Did you know more than 80% of American mothers breastfeed their child, but fewer than a third continue to breastfeed for the recommended amount of time because of lactation problems? A lactation consultant can address these problems to make your breastfeeding period smooth.
Usually, a breastfeeding support or lactation consultant is needed during the first few weeks after the baby’s delivery when you’re still learning to breastfeed your baby. However, you can also visit a lactation consultant when you face breastfeeding problems like:
- Sore, painful, or cracked nipples
- Breast engorgement
- Plugged milk ducts
- Breast infections like mastitis
- Milk supply concerns
- Struggling to find the right nursing position, especially after cesarean birth
- Issues with latching and suckling or tongue tie
- Baby refusing the breast milk
- Baby falling asleep during breastfeeding
How Lactation Consultants Can Help
Lactation consultants have the highest level of education, training, knowledge, and skills to resolve your breastfeeding problems. They work with you to understand your breastfeeding goals and resolve your breastfeeding problems.
When you visit your lactation consultant with a breastfeeding issue, they review your medical history, pregnancy, delivery, and other important information about your babies ‘health. They watch you breastfeed your baby and observe how your baby latches to your nipples, how they suck and swallow the milk, and how they breathe as you feed them. Your lactation consultant will also touch your breast and nipples to identify the problem.
After troubleshooting your specific issues, your lactation consultant will teach you how to:
- Recognize your baby’s hunger signs
- Increase your supply of breast milk
- Ensure that your baby is latching to nipples properly
- Find out and establish a feeding schedule
- Treat breast problems like breast engorgement, nipple soreness, and cracking
- Find the best nursing position
- Use pumps to express the breast milk in a bottle
- Teach you how to identify if your baby is getting enough milk and gaining enough weight
Lactation Consultant in Palm Harbor, Trinity, and Westchase, Florida
If you’re about to deliver your baby and want to learn how to breastfeed properly or are facing breastfeeding problems, look no further than our lactation consultants at Children’s Medical Center.
We have a team of compassionate and dedicated lactation consultants with over 30 years of experience in helping new mothers breastfeed their babies properly without any problems. They also identify and address your breastfeeding problem so you can enjoy your breastfeeding period.